Notre Dame bucket list

As you know, time at Notre Dame passes with unwelcome speed. After four years it feels like it's time to move on, but you've grown so much you don't want to let go. Now that I'm an old man of 23, I recall my most lasting memories, but don't include common items like exploring the bell tower or the tunnels, or climbing into potentially off-limits spaces (all of which I did).

1. Learn the Alma Mater. Don't mumble like you mumble some of the fight song — it was written for Knute Rockne's funeral mass.

2. Go to all the football games — this is for you disenchanted seniors.

3. Talk with Fr. Jenkins during office hours. He'll respond because your opinion is important.

4. On Football Saturdays, don't miss the band marching out of the tunnel.

5. Also, rush into the Dome right after the Concert on the Steps to hear the trumpets play the Alma Mater.

6. Write to the The Observer. I was cautious in expressing my opinion because so many people read Viewpoint every day. If you really believe in something, don't be afraid to attach your name to it.

7. Get to know your buddies in your dorm. Eat, play football, go to mass, study and fight with them. These are some of the closest friendships you'll ever find.

8. If you're still on campus, check out Tenebrae and the Easter Vigil. The organ and choir make the floor shake.

9. Read Father Sorin's plaque by the lake (to the right of Bond Hall). It's my favorite spot on campus — nice in every season and a grassy spot for lunch on warm days.

10. Over break, read "Notre Dame versus the Klan." Did you know Notre Dame stood up to the KKK, or that "Fighting Irish" was originally an insult?

Lastly, the biggest lesson I learned at Notre Dame was to ask people about themselves. Behind that façade is an interesting human who's just as cool (and even insecure) as you are. When you have no lunch plans, ask someone who's sitting alone if they want company.

Vu Nguyen

alumnus

Class of 2010

Sept. 26