SMC Softball: Belles split doubleheader on road against Wheaton

Saint Mary's split its doubleheader against Wheaton on Tuesday, coming from behind to win the first game 3-2 while falling just short in the second, losing by a score of 5-4.

"I am really pleased with how we played against Wheaton. They are an excellent team and we should have won both," Belles coach Erin Sullivan said. "The pitchers threw really well and we did a great job defensively for the most part. [We made] just a couple of mistakes that cost us game two."

The first game featured a late inning rally by the Belles (10-2), who scored all three of their runs in the sixth inning.
Down by one, freshman outfielder Victoria Connelly drew a leadoff walk and advanced to second on a single by junior shortstop Emily Sherwood. Junior catcher Morgan Bedan doubled, driving in the Belles' first run. Sophomore pitcher Callie Selner and senior second baseman Angela Gillis followed with RBI hits, giving the Belles a 3-1 lead.

That proved to be all the Belles needed, as Selner finished off her complete game to earn her fifth win of the season.

"Selner pitched a great first game against aggressive hitters," Sullivan said. "She also hit very well, going 3 for 6 with a double."

The second game however, saw a rocky start for the Belles, as Wheaton (12-2) scored five runs in the first three innings, taking a 5-0 lead.

Saint Mary's rallied late and scored two runs in each of the fifth and sixth innings, bringing the game within a run.
Unfortunately it proved to be too little, too late for the Belles, as Wheaton was able to hold on for the win.
Senior captain Lauren Enayati was absent for the games for the Belles due to a class conflict. Though Sullivan was overall happy with her teams' performance, she felt Enayati's presence could have changed the outcome of the second game.

"It was tough not having Enayati," Sullivan said. "We lost our leadoff batter and player with the highest batting average, as well as a senior captain in her, but the team really stepped up."
Saint Mary's next will take on Adrian on Saturday in its MIAA opener.

Contact Nick Boyle at nboyle1@nd.edu