Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Event to showcase majors

Students can investigate the 65 possible undergraduate majors and other academic programs at Majors Night tonight for guidance on what direction their studies will go at Notre Dame.

Faculty and students enrolled in these different majors will be available to advice students in South Dining Hall from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. tonight.

Academic Affairs Committee member Toni Schreier said all students should feel welcome to attend this event.

"We've organized this majors night as an opportunity for students of all levels - not just freshmen - to learn more about the opportunities, both academic and extracurricular, that Notre Dame has to offer," she said.

Schreier said upperclassmen who have already declared a major can still benefit from the information available.

"[For upperclassmen,] it would just be an opportunity to confirm that's what they want to do," Schreier said. "If there's an area they've always been interested in, they can find out the requirements for a minor and if it's plausible."

Professor Thomas Stapleford in the Program of Liberal Studies (PLS) also encouraged students of all levels to attend.

"It's really valuable for a wide range of students," Stapleford said. "This is a great opportunity to learn about other programs, even if you're in a major right now, if you're still not quite sure this is the one for you, this is a great chance to go and explore some other programs."

Schreier said students can really learn about what each department is like because both professors and students will be available.

"You can find out about all the different classes you'd have to take, what the requirements are and if it's possible to double major or minor," Schreier said.

Majors Night is a good time for students to learn about majors that are not as common or that might be unique to Notre Dame, Stapleford said.

"[PLS] is unlike English or History, where students may have a rough idea of what they're doing," he said. "There are English departments in other universities. [PLS] is unique to Notre Dame. We get a chance to explain this to the students and answer any questions they might have."

Stapleford said the professors in attendance want to highlight the distinctive features of their disciplines for students so that it is easier for students to choose between majors.

"In [PLS], there's an emphasis on students who really love to read, students who like to think about ideas and write about ideas - students who have a broad range of interests."