Heritage week celebrates SMC legacy

Saint Mary's students and alumnae paid tribute to their heritage Thursday evening with a dinner in the Noble Family Dining Hall that celebrated the College's rich history and promising future.

The dinner also garnered enthusiasm for the launch of the College's Capital Campaign on Friday, according to a flier provided at the dinner. The Campaign plans to raise $80 million for scholarships, professorships, facility improvements and other projects.

At the dinner, vice president for mission Sr. VeroniqueWiedower attested to the value of Saint Mary's heritage.

"The convergence of Heritage Week with the Capital Campaign brings a special opportunity to rejoice in the rich legacy that is Saint Mary's and to sustain the excellence of the educational opportunities of which students have been afforded," Wiedower said.

Chair of the Board of Trustees Mary Burke expressed appreciation for her time as an undergraduate at the College.

"I want to do everything I can to help young women receive a Saint Mary's education," Burke said.

Junior Kat Sullivan said the dinner was an opportunity for alumnae and students to connect.

"It's been amazing to interact with alumnae because these are the women giving back to our school," she said. "I hope that I can give back to Saint Mary's in the same way one day."

Wiedower acknowledged Saint Mary's history by dressing up as Mother Pauline O'Neil, the College's first president from 1895 to 1931. Wearing O'Neil's traditional garb, she said history and heritage are distinct.

"History recalls the facts about the past," she said. "Heritage, on the other hand, is the remembering. A spirit that endures through time today, we are celebrating that essence at Saint Mary's." 

Burke praised the women of Saint Mary's past and present.

"The world needs Saint Mary's College," she said. "Our communities, our world and our families need faith-built leaders."