ND Women's Swimming and Diving: Irish send six to championships

Though six members of the Notre Dame squad face their toughest competition of the season this week at the NCAA championships, the Irish plan to use the opportunity to relax and enjoy themselves. 

"We love to have fun and goof off," sophomore swimmer Emma Reaney said. "Not taking ourselves too seriously is what really helps us. [Irish coach Brian Barnes] always teaches us to be prepared for anything that goes wrong. He wants us to learn how to stay calm no matter what happens so I'd say we've been thinking about that a little more than usual."

Going into the first day of competition, Reaney has top-10 times in the 100-yard breaststroke, the 200-yard individual medley and the 200-yard breaststroke. Reaney will also be competing in four relays throughout the three-day competition. 

"I'm always so honored to represent Notre Dame," Reaney said. "To get that name and logo out there as many times as we can is awesome." 

Reaney is in good company among her teammates. Senior backstroke Kim Holden qualified for three individual events - the 100-yard butterfly and the 100 and 200-yard backstroke. 

This is the second time Holden has attended the NCAA championships, finishing in the top 25 in the 100 and 200-yard backstroke in 2011. 

Junior backstroke Kelly Ryan competes in both the 100 and 200-yard backstroke, as well as the 100-yard freestyle. Ryan was named an All-American in 2012 for her top performance in the 200-yard backstroke. 

Sophomore butterfly Bridget Casey was the last swimmer to qualify in an individual event and will be swimming in the 200-yard butterfly. 

Freshman Catherine Galletti will be traveling with the team and is eligible to compete in any of the four Irish relays throughout the weekend. 

Reaney said she's not worried about staying motivated throughout the three-day competition.

"The energy on deck at this meet is almost palpable," Reaney said. "You can't help but be excited to be there and excited to swim even until the last minute of the meet. My entire family is here, too, and knowing they're here to support me will definitely keep me motivated."

Senior diver Jenny Chiang kicks of the Irish competition tomorrow when she competes in the preliminaries for the 1-meter dive. 

The- Irish take on the NCAA championships on Thursday at the IUPUI Natatorium in Indianapolis.  

Contact Katie Heit at kheit@nd.edu