ND Women's Swimming; Team places second

Racking up 10 event wins, four meet records and six school records in a dominating week, the Irish finished second in the Big East championships at the IUPUI Natatorium in Indianapolis on Sunday, falling only to Louisville.

This is the third year the Irish have finished second in the Big East championships. Notre Dame finished with 772 points, finishing behind the Cardinals and their 895 points.

Despite the second place finish, the Irish ended the long week of competition with several awards. Diving coach CaimingXie earned the title of Big East Women's Diving Coach of the year, while head coach Brian Barnes claimed Big East Women's Swimming Coach of the Year.

Senior diver Jenny Chiang, who earned her fourth-straight title in the 3-meter dive, was named Most Outstanding Diver and sophomore Emma Reaney snatched the award for Most Outstanding Swimmer.

In addition to the awards, the Irish also claimed 10 event wins throughout the meet. Reaney set new meet records in the 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard breaststroke, as well as an individual victory in the 200-yard breaststroke. Her times in both the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke events earned her an NCAA "A" qualifying time. The 400-yard medley relay team of Reaney, junior Kelly Ryan, senior Kim Holden and sophomore Catherine Galletti not only beat a meet record, but also earned the team's third NCAA "A" qualifying cut.

Notre Dame also earned NCAA "B" qualifying cuts in fourteen events, including the 800-yard freestyle relay, the 200-yard medley relay and the 400-yard freestyle relay.

Chiang, sophomore diver Allison Casareto and freshman diver Lindsey Streepey all earned qualifying scores for the NCAA tournament.

In all, 12 Notre Dame swimmers and divers earned a total of 35 All-Big East honors.

The Irish diving squad will next compete in the NCAA Zone Diving Qualifier on March 14, while qualified swimmers will compete in the NCAA championships starting March 21.