Happy last week

I woke up this morning tired and rather hesitant to go to class when it suddenly hit me: this is my last week of school as a Notre Dame student. As I came to this realization, I jumped out of bed, quickly got dressed, grabbed my book bag and walked to class.

The thought of my college experience coming to an end scares me. I had unconsciously been avoiding it throughout the semester until I had to inevitably face it yesterday.

So, trying to keep my mind off the fear and melancholy of graduating from Notre Dame while walking to class, I decided to reflect on a positive and notable question.

What have I learned throughout my past four years here at Notre Dame?

The answer was short and simple.

I have learned about myself, about others and about the ways I can truly contribute to and impact both.

From class discussions to a semester abroad, I have definitely gotten to know myself better throughout my college years - what I like and dislike, with whom and where I am most comfortable and also who I am and who I want to become.  

Although I still constantly vacillate between different career paths, my Notre Dame education and extracurricular life has helped me get out of my comfort zone, enjoy new opportunities and get to know a new side of me I had yet to discover.

In addition, my four years  have surprisingly taught me more about where I come from (Puerto Rico) - its past and its future.

Before arriving at Notre Dame, I never imagined I would learn so much about my first home while living and studying in my new, second home. Nevertheless, being at Notre Dame has made me more aware of where I am from and the influence and impact my culture and background have on myself as a student and as a friend.

Most importantly, being at Notre Dame has awakened in me a sentiment of constant action, change and inquiry about myself and those around me. I have become fascinated by interactions between different cultures, religions and points of view.

What had originally felt like a sad reality of college almost being over turned into an optimistic and hopeful future as I finished reflecting and finally arrived to class. I am and will always be grateful for my four amazing years at Notre Dame. I am sure the experiences I have had and the people I have met here along the way have shaped and will continue to shape me as I embark on a new and different life adventure.

Happy last week of school to everyone - especially to us seniors! Lets enjoy every minute of it.

Contact Maria Fernandez at mfernan5@nd.edu@nd.edu

The views expressed in the Inside Column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.