Purple Weasels dominate Farley for first win of year

Pasquerilla West kicked off its defense of the interhall flag football title with a dominating 26-0 victory over Farley at the LaBar Practice Complex on Sunday.

The Purple Weasels (1-0), still hot off their championship last year, started off strong and received contributions from standout players, junior quarterback Megan Ferowich and sophomore receiver Monica Busse, in the win.

“[Megan’s] stepped up," Pasquerilla West senior captain Colleen Doyle said. "[We] had a late substitution in quarterbacks, and she’s looking pretty good. Also, our defense looks fantastic.”

The game highlights included a 40-yard touchdown scamper by Ferowich for the first score of the season, before the defense stepped up with an interception near the end of the first quarter, which led to another touchdown. The Finest (0-1) put forth a good effort until the final whistle but were hindered by new changes to the roster and coaching staff.

“We have three new coaches who have never coached flag football before,” Farley senior captain Caitlin Smith said. “They got to see the lay of the land and kind of adjust. We’ll adjust our place for the next game on Tuesday.”

On the other hand, Pasquerilla West was led by an experienced group of coaches who had already built a solid relationship with the returning championship team members.

“Defense was a collective effort,” third-year Purple Weasels coach senior Michael Judd said. “We had a number of interceptions and we rotated about 13 girls in there on defense. It was really a collective unit.”

The Finest and the Purple Weasels both aim to rack up victories in preparation for this season's playoffs.

“[Our] goals are to start winning games,” Smith said.

Doyle shares the same view.

“[We want to] just keep winning,” Doyle said. “We want to make it back to the stadium”

Both teams are back in action tonight, with Farley taking on Walsh and the Purple Weasels, hoping to build on their winning streak, playing Cavanaugh. Both games will take place at Riehle Fields at 7 p.m.