Saint Mary's names comedian as in-residence visiting artist

Writer, comedian and actress Casey Whitaker is this year’s Margaret M. Hill visiting artist in residence, an annual series made possible by a gift from Hill, an alumna and Broadway producer, according to a College press release.

“Saint Mary’s is forever grateful to Peggy Hill for her gift to the College which allows us to, year after year, host artists who coach and instruct our students,” professor of theater Katie Sullivan said in the release. “The students receive advice about how to make their way in the professional theater world. They also have the opportunity to ask the artists various questions about their technique, particular roles or scripts or shows, how to balance career and personal life and how to take the first steps after college.”

According to the release, Whitaker trained with Second City in Chicago and has toured with Second City’s Shred Co. for the past three years. In addition to her work as a performer, Whitaker is a freelance comedy writer for the card game, Utter Nonsense: an Inappropriate Accent Game.

Currently, Whitaker is directing Saint Mary’s theater students in their spring production, a play she wrote called “Lucky, Liar, Loser.”  The play will run from April 27-30 in Little Theater.

“Lucky, Liar, Loser” tells the story of the aftermath abuse takes on nine women, according to the press release. The play includes sketches, shadow puppetry and modern dance and includes choreography by Hannah Fischer, a 2011 alumna.

“The play presents a uniquely complex mix of the serious and the comic that is always unexpected, creative and highly theatrical,” Mark Abram-Copenhaver, associate professor of theater, said in the release. “‘Lucky, Liar, Loser’ is a sophisticated treatment of this emotionally charged and current subject matter.”