Notre Dame wraps up regular season at Ohio State Winter Invitational

No. 22 Notre Dame took home eight individual-event wins between its men’s and women’s squads this weekend, and it also saw its athletes combine for NCAA B-cut times in 10 events at the Ohio State Winter Invitational in the McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion.

At the event, the Irish competed against the likes of Cincinnati, Cleveland State, Eastern Michigan, IUPUI, Kentucky, Miami (OH), Ohio State, Pacific, Pittsburgh, Penn State and Purdue.

NCAA B-cut qualifiers on the women’s side included sophomore Claire DeSelm (100- and 200-yard backstroke), sophomore Katie Smith (50-yard freestyle), junior Rebecca Walton (1650-yard freestyle) and senior Alyssa Storino (100- and 200-yard breaststroke). On the men’s side, sophomore Rex Riley (100- and 200-yard breaststroke), junior Jack Russell (100-yard breaststroke) and junior David Stewart (100-yard butterfly) also posted NCAA B-cut times.

The Irish had several other top performers beyond just its NCAA B-cut qualifiers. Sophomore Kelly Jacob raced to a third-place finish in the women’s 200-yard freestyle. In the 200-yard butterfly, sophomore Carolyn Kammeyer finished in second place, right ahead of third-place finisher and junior Paige Kaplan. For the men’s team, freshman John Paul Becker took fifth in the men’s 200-yard backstroke and fourth in the 100-yard backstroke in addition to winning the 200-yard individual medley. Russell took sixth in the 200-yard breaststroke, while Stewart and junior Daniel Fujan took seventh and eighth, respectively, in the 50-yard freestyle.

This upcoming week, the Irish will compete in the ACC championships against top-ranked teams in No. 14 Louisville, No. 20 Florida State and No. 23 Virginia on the men’s side, while they will face ranked opponents in No. 8 Virginia and No. 10 Louisville on the women’s side.

The women’s team will travel to Greensboro, North Carolina, and compete from Wednesday to Saturday. The men’s team will then compete the following week in Greensboro, Feb. 21-24.