Notre Dame set to compete with Princeton, Columbia over upcoming weekend

After a strong performance in the Cardinal Invitational, Notre Dame will resume competition this weekend when it hits the water to square off against Princeton and Columbia.

After finishing first in two of three varsity four races and first in one of the three varsity eight races on the second day of the Cardinal Invitational, the Irish will be looking to continue that momentum. The Tigers finished last season ranked No. 1 in the New England region and finished 10th at the NCAA championships. The Lions didn’t qualify for the NCAA championships last year, but they are heading into Saturday’s races with some momentum, as they are coming off a sweep of its races against FIT and Barry in the Governor’s Cup on March 14, though they did fall to Rutgers on Saturday. Despite the home advantage for the Tigers, Irish head coach Martin Stone said he and his team are ready to compete against them this weekend.

“We are looking forward to racing against a very top program in Princeton and an upcoming program in Columbia,” he said.

In preparation for the dual race, Stone said he changed lineups from Saturday’s regatta and is looking forward to watching the new ones compete.

“We have adjusted the lineups, and [we] are interested to see how they race,” Stone said.

In addition to new lineups, Stone said he believes the overall key to getting quality finishes this weekend will be attention to racing strategy.

“We need to race very smart and go as fast as we possibly can,” Stone said.

The Irish will face off against Princeton and Columbia on Saturday, with the dual regatta scheduled for all day in Princeton, New Jersey.