Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024

Quenton Nelson selected sixth overall by Indianapolis Colts in 2018 NFL Draft

Former Irish offensive lineman Quenton Nelson was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts with the No. 6 overall pick in the NFL Draft on Thursday night, the first offensive lineman to be selected in the draft.

The Colts’ pick makes the 2017 Irish captain the 67th player to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft in Notre Dame history. Furthermore, Nelson is now the third Notre Dame offensive lineman to be drafted in the past five drafts, as Ronnie Stanley was selected by the Baltimore Ravens in 2016 and Zack Martin was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in 2014.

1506382481-48812bf613af772-692x700
Former Irish offensive lineman Quenton Nelson, right, prepares for a snap during Notre Dame’s 38-18 win over Michigan State on Sept. 23 at Spartan Stadium.

In December of last year, Nelson became the 34th unanimous All-American in Notre Dame history, as he was selected to the 2017 American Football Coaches Association All-America Team. The 2017 Monogram Club Most Valuable Player led one of the nation's top offensive lines last season, laying the groundwork for the No. 3 rushing attack in yards per carry in FBS football.

After a stellar 2017 season, Nelson was given a 95.1 overall grading by Pro Football Focus, the highest grade given to any guard in the nation. Nelson ranked first among draft-eligible guards in run-blocking success percentage and sixth in pass-blocking efficiency in 2017.

Nelson, who played left guard for the majority of his career at Notre Dame, will be competing against Colts guard Matt Slauson for the starting position. Slauson, who signed with the Colts last month, has been participating in spring drills after coming off a bicep injury.