Belles look to build upon success of young team

With six returning runners and two newcomers, the Belles managed to put together a solid season in the fall of 2017.

The squad recorded five top-25 team finishes in eight total races throughout the season, including two seventh place finishes — one at the MIAA Jamboree and another at the MIAA championships. At the MIAA Jamboree, the Belles tallied a team score of 194, with junior Adelle Edmonds, sophomores Fiona Winfrey, Shanan Hamilton and Maura Honan and junior Emily Harrast all scoring.

At the MIAA championships, Edmonds finished 46th overall, and Honan, Harrast, senior Anna McClowry and sophomore Katie Glenn each scored.

Saint Mary's was led by co-captains McClowry and Edmonds throughout the season. Edmonds led the Belles all year long, finishing first among the team in every single race. McClowny was just behind her, finishing second among the team in the seven races she participated in this season.

Despite several solid team finishes and many impressive indidivual times, Saint Mary's finished seventh in the MIAA standings and 29th at the NCAA Regionals.

Nevertheless, the Belles look forward to a 2018 season with seven of their eight total runners returning. Senior co-captain Anna McClowry is the only runner graduating, which means Adele Edmonds will return next season as a key pace-leader for the Belles. Next year, the Belles will also return with veteran coach Jackie Bauters, who will enter her 14th year of coaching at Saint Mary's. Bauters graduated from Saint Mary's herself in 2004, and will look to guide the Belles toward even more success in 2018.