Saturday, July 27, 2024

Irish end inconsistent season on high note at ACCs

This past year, Notre Dame experienced a year split in two. In the fall and spring seasons, the Irish experienced different levels of success. After a generally strong fall season, the team experienced some hiccups in the spring.

The fall featured five major tournaments across September and October with the Fighting Irish Classic in early October resulting in an Irish victory. There, they shot 18-under par as a team and secured their only first place finish of the season.

1526568220-2347ee3517040da-500x700
Irish junior Miguel Delgado follows through on his swing during the Fighting Irish Classic on Oct. 8 at Warren Golf Course
Irish junior Miguel Delgado follows through on his swing during the Fighting Irish Classic on Oct. 8 at Warren Golf Course.

Notre Dame competed in six tournaments in the spring. The team faced some difficulties early on in February at the Prestige at PGA West, finishing last in a 16 team field and carding a season worst 38-over par collectively. However, the Irish turned their play around following this tournament, finishing in seventh, sixth and third in subsequent matches.

These results brought the Irish into the ACC tournament in late April, where they carded the second lowest score in program history at 19-under par in a sixth place effort. Previously, Notre Dame’s best score at the ACC tournament was eight-over par, a full 27 strokes worse than this new record.

Throughout the season, junior Miguel Delgado and sophomore Davis Lamb lead the team in top-10 individual finishes with three each. Delgado put forward the best individual performance of anyone on the team throughout the season with a second place finish at the AutoTrader Classic in October. The efforts were distributed across the entire team, however, with seven of the 10 players registering at least one top-10 individual finish during the season.

The team will lose their two seniors next year — Thomas Steve and Jens Verhey. The team will pick back up play in the fall.