Deon McIntosh to transfer to 'Last Chance U;' C.J. Sanders confirms move to SMU

Two former Irish players have found new homes, as graduate student C.J. Sanders committed to Southern Methodist University on Tuesday, while former running back Deon McIntosh is headed to East Mississippi Community College.

Sanders announced his intention to transfer after Notre Dame’s 21-17 victory over LSU in the Citrus Bowl, while McIntosh was dismissed from the program following his suspension from the Citrus Bowl for a violation of team rules.

Sanders’ mother announced her son’s future plans Tuesday via Twitter and Sanders later confirmed them to varioussources.

Sanders will enroll at SMU in time for fall camp in order to join the team for his final season of college eligibility. After graduating from the University in three years, he will be a graduate transfer, giving him immediate eligibility. During his three seasons at Notre Dame, Sanders had 26 catches for 293 yards and two touchdowns. He was also a major special teams contributor. As a kick returner, Sanders had 86 returns for 1,998 yards and three touchdowns. As a punt returner, he had 35 returns for 307 yards and another score.

SMU has to replace wide receivers Courtland Sutton and Trey Quinn, who combined for 182 receptions for 2,321 yards and 25 touchdowns this season and were both drafted in the 2018 NFL Draft.

For McIntosh, the 5-foot-11, 195-pound running back gets a second opportunity after being suspended from the Citrus Bowl and dismissed from the team, as EMCC was the school featured in “Last Chance U,” a popular Netflix documentary. McIntosh first made a name for himself on the road this past season against North Carolina, when he ran for 124 yards and two touchdowns. The then-sophomore finished the season running for 368 yards and five touchdowns on 65 carries in eight games, averaging 5.7 yards per carry. He redshirted his freshman year.

McIntosh’s plans were first reported on Twitter.