United States Poet Laureate to headline Christian Culture Lecture at Saint Mary’s

Tracy K. Smith, the United States Poet Laureate, will address Saint Mary’s and the local community in the annual Christian Culture Lecture on Sept. 5 in O’Laughlin Auditorium, a College press release said.

Smith, who was named the 22nd United States Poet Laureate in 2017, is a Pulitzer Prize recipient and is noted for writing about civil rights, the release said. She also serves as the director of the creative writing program at Princeton University.

Laura Williamson Ambrose, chair of the department of humanistic studies, expressed her excitement in having the opportunity to hear Smith comment on the presence of poetry in the day-to-day life of the community.

“Tracy K. Smith’s poetry is lithe and bright, accessible and powerful, upfront and imaginative,” Williamson Ambrose said in the release. “She reminds us in her published work and in her highly engaged role as poet laureate that poetry and language matter deeply to our everyday lives.”

Organized by the department of humanistic studies, the Christian Culture Lecture series hosts speakers to explore humanities with respect to “some aspect of the Christian dimension of Western culture,” the College’s website said. Tickets can be purchased beginning July 30.