Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024

Garth Brooks to host soundcheck free to Notre Dame students

In Monday night’s “Inside Studio G: A Monday Night Conversation,” Garth Brooks announced that the Notre Dame community can attend his soundcheck for free on Oct. 19, the night before his concert at Notre Dame Stadium.

“We’re going to [do a] question and answer during soundcheck and you can actually see behind the curtain on what’s happening,” he said in the Facebook Live conversation. “So this should all be pretty cool. This is all weather permitting.”

Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s and Holy Cross students can gain free entry into the soundcheck with a mobile ticket reserved in advance, Mike Seamon, vice president for campus safety and event management, said in an email to students Thursday. Students also must present their ID cards at Notre Dame Stadium’s Rockne Gate, which will open at 7 p.m., 30 minutes before the event starts.

The event is expected to last about an hour. Brooks said the soundcheck serves as an opportunity to rehearse for the concert. Brooks’ wife, Trisha Yearwood, will also be present at the sound check to answer questions.

“You run through the spots of where you’re going to be, you’re kind of rehearsing but you’re also feeling what the stadium feels like,” Brooks said. “You’re out on the very points, as far as you can get away from each other out there and see how you hear. A lot of it’s tech, a lot of it’s the guys running through. It’s one last shot before they drop the flag and here we go.”

Brooks described the Notre Dame concert as “a chapter in the next book of our lives” and said he looked forward to the soundcheck before his concert.

“I’m hoping it’s beautiful, I’m hoping it’s perfect weather and I’m hoping there’s interested people showing up and coming out here and seeing us,” he said. “You can ask any questions about the business, about whatever.”

Updated Oct. 11 at 8:30 p.m.