Saturday, July 27, 2024

Former chair of department of computer science and engineering dies at age 75

Steven C. Bass, professor emeritus and former chair of the department of computer science and engineering at Notre Dame, died Thursday at the age of 75 at his home on the island of St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands, the University announced in a press release Friday.

A graduate of Purdue University’s bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate programs, Bass taught electrical engineering at his alma mater for 17 years while working as a consultant to private firms as well as the United States government, the press release said.

According to the press release, Bass joined the Notre Dame faculty in 1991 as the inaugural Schubmehl-Prein chair of the department of computer science and engineering. While serving as a fellow for the Center for Social Concerns as well as the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Bass received several honors for his innovations in education and research in circuits, systems and signal processing.

Bass moved to St. John following his retirement from the University in 2001 to continue his work as an instructor and innovator, the release said.

Bass will be buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery on Notre Dame’s campus. Donations in Bass’ memory may be made to Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church in St. John, the Animal Care Center of St. John or a charity of one’s choice.