University announces creation of provost search committee

University President Fr. John Jenkins announced in a Tuesday email to the Notre Dame community that the committee to find a replacement for retiring provost Tom Burish has been selected. The group, which consists of 11 members including Jenkins as its chair, will discern the types of qualities to consider as the group searches for the next provost. Students and faculty will be consulted on this question, he said. ”With this committee, we will undertake a robust national and international search for our next provost. Among our first tasks will be to describe the qualities of the ideal candidate for provost at this time in Notre Dame’s history,” he said. “As we undertake a process of reflection and discussion on this question, we will set up listening sessions with faculty of the various colleges, as well as students and staff, to hear your thoughts.” Once that work is completed, the committee will produce a ”prospectus” outlining the ”nature of the opportunity” and enumerating the qualities the University is looking for in prospective candidates. Of the committee’s 11 members, eight are faculty and two are students, Jenkins said in the email. ”The process for choosing a Provost as defined by the Academic Articles begins with the election by the Academic Council of five of its elected faculty representatives and one of its student representatives to a search committee chaired by the President,” Jenkins said in the email. ”The President may then appoint up to three members of the regular faculty and one student ‘in order to ensure that a broad range of views and perspectives is represented on the committee.‘” According to the email, the five Academic Council members represented on the committee are Kasey Buckles, an economics professor, Patrick Flynn, chair of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Michael Hildreth, a professor of physics and associate dean for research and graduate studies in the College of Science, Margaret Meserve, chair of the Italian Studies Department and the College of Arts and Letters’ associate dean for the humanities and faculty affairs, accountancy professor Ramachandran Ramanan and junior Maria Salerno. The committee members are listed below. Committee members:Academic Council members:

Kasey Buckles, Brian and Jeannelle Brady Associate Professor of Economics

Patrick Flynn, chair, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Duda Family Professor of Engineering

Michael Hildreth, associate dean for research and graduate studies, physics professor

Margaret Meserve, Fabiano Collegiate Chair in Italian Studies, associate dean for the humanities and faculty affairs,

Ramachandran Ramanan, professor, Department of Accountancy

Maria Salerno, junior

Members appointed by Jenkins:

Laura Carlson, vice president, associate provost and dean of the Graduate School,

Veronica Root Martinez, law professor, Robert & Marion Short Scholar

Carl Ackermann, Nolan Professorship for Excellence in Undergraduate Instruction, finance professor

Karen Angeles, graduate student, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Earth Sciences