Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Crooked Ewe: a unique South Bend dining experience

In my opinion, one of the most underrated restaurants in South Bend is The Crooked Ewe. 

There is a lot of hype around restaurants like Evil Czech and The Livery, but it seems as though not many students know about The Crooked Ewe. I have been there several times, and each time I have a great experience.

The restaurant is located past downtown South Bend and has a great location along the St. Joseph River. There are two areas of the restaurant, a dining room setting upstairs and a bar downstairs, so you can choose which vibe you are going for. I have eaten in both areas, but probably would prefer the downstairs because it has a more exciting atmosphere.

Inside, the restaurant is industrially decorated, with wood and metal accents. The restaurant also functions as a brewery — a big draw for many patrons. There is an expansive beer list with tons of craft beers from the brewery.

With regards to food, Crooked Ewe’s menu is very diverse. There are funky twists on burgers, barbecue and many Asian dishes. All the dishes are unique and different than what you would see at a typical brewery, but with so much variety on the menu, there is bound to be something for everyone. One of my favorite aspects of the menu is the great selection of appetizers. The carrots and asparagus, crispy cauliflower, fire and fermentation board are all great, but the Hellenistic artichokes are my favorite. They are crispy and are flavorful with the salsa-like dipping sauce that brings the dish together.

There are a wide variety of entrees, but I have gotten the curry almost every time I have gone.  The dish has a mix of rice, lentils, chickpeas, spinach and cauliflower with a rich curry sauce on top.

I have gone to The Crooked Ewe with family and friends and everyone has always raved about the dishes they have gotten. I tend to get a lot of appetizers and an entrée, and I rarely finish all my food which leaves me with lots of leftovers for the next day.

If you have not been to The Crooked Ewe, I highly recommend it for a unique South Bend dining experience.

Contact Claire Kopischke at ckopisch@nd.edu.