Saturday, July 27, 2024

Staff Predictions 2020: Georgia Tech Yellowjackets

Hayden Adams — Sports Editor

Georgia Tech is 2-4 on the season. You may be asking yourself, “Where did they manage to get even two wins?Well, concerned citizen, they came against Louisville and Florida State, two teams Notre Dame beat. They probably should have lost to Florida State with two interceptions thrown and two of their field goals blocked, but the Yellowjackets used forced turnovers of their own to top the ‘Noles and Cards. Then they were disintegrated by Clemson in the largest margin of victory ever in an ACC game, 73-7. So fans can have a lot of fun playing the transitive property game with Notre Dame and Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets have youth and big-play potential at the offensive skill positions, but that potential is offset by inconsistency. Credit Geoff Collins for sparking this team to two wins — as backhanded a compliment as that may be — and maybe they’ll pick up another down the line, but it’s not coming against Notre Dame. 10 interceptions and 12 fumbles (eight lost), a just over 50% completion clip and ceding nearly 200 yards per game on the ground and 280 through the air do not make for promising odds against the Irish, especially after what they showed against Pitt last week. FINAL SCORE: Notre Dame 48, Georgia Tech 6   Jimmy Ward — Associate Sports EditorEllen’s transitive property theory is one that has been scaring me the past couple weeks of observing ACC play. It makes my head spin and, quite frankly, makes me confused and anxious heading into literally every single Notre Dame game. Speaking of that anxiety, though, I was thinking midway through the game last week that the anxiety I experience when watching this team is ever-present. But how often has that anxiety been legitimate this year? How many games was Notre Dame actually expected to lose? None, up until this point in the season with Clemson looming large on the horizon. That said, Georgia Tech doesn’t scare me and the Irish are in their white uniforms in Atlanta. I am unconcerned. Notre Dame gets their second convincing win on the road.FINAL SCORE: Notre Dame 32, Georgia Tech 12   Charlotte Edmonds — Senior Sports Writer Year two of the Georgia Tech rebuild, let’s check in. After posting a 3-9 record last season, the Yellow Jackets have ... improved to 2-4? While they’ll likely end the season with a slightly better record, there’s no doubt this program is still a long ways away from their 11-win 2014 season under Paul Johnson and the triple option. While Georgia Tech works to determine their identity under a new scheme led by a young offensive crew, the Irish seem to be hitting their stride with the biggest game of the season on the horizon. The defense has followed the lead of Daelin Hayes and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, holding consistent even when the offense failed to show (i.e. Louisville). It’s hard to draw much from the Pitt game considering the strength of competition, but there’s no doubt Ben Skowronek is emerging on the scene. The Irish will head down to Atlanta, get out to a quick lead and never look back, returning to South Bend with their sights set on the orange monster. FINAL SCORE: Notre Dame 45, Georgia Tech 13   Ellen Geyer — Senior Sports Writer Here’s a fun transitive property exercise: Georgia Tech lost to Syracuse 37-20. Syracuse lost to Pitt 21-10. Pitt lost to Notre Dame 45-3. You do the math. FINAL SCORE: Notre Dame 52, Georgia Tech 10   Aidan Thomas — Sports Writer Georgia Tech’s two wins came against two opponents Notre Dame has also defeated, so the transitive property exercise could be used to great (and contradictory) effect here. Rather, let’s look at the bare numbers of the two teams. Georgia Tech has been gashed by the run, giving up nearly 200 yards per game, and Notre Dame loves to pound the rock. Expect a big day from Kyren Williams, and potentially Chris Tyree or C’Bo Flemister. Georgia Tech hasn’t been great against the pass either, part of a defense that’s giving up 41 points a game. Ideally, Notre Dame gets the ground game rolling and mixes in the downfield passes that were effective against Pitt last weekend. Georgia Tech has 18 turnovers offensively, and they’re welcoming an Irish team that finally figured out how to intercept passes last weekend. Notre Dame started to play like a top-five team last weekend, and they’re really beginning to elevate their play with Clemson looming. Georgia Tech is a victim of hosting Notre Dame a week before Notre Dame’s biggest game of the season. FINAL SCORE: Notre Dame 41, Georgia Tech 13