Saturday, July 27, 2024

Notre Dame women’s soccer falls to TCU in season finale

Notre Dame fell to No. 7 Texan Christian University Saturday night by a final score of 2-1, allowing the Horned Frogs (11-1-1, 8-0-1 Big 12) to emerge from the 2020-2021 season with an undefeated home record for the first time in program history.

TCU outshot the Irish (6-7-0, 4-5-0 ACC) 25-11 for the match and held Notre Dame scoreless for nearly 80 minutes.

The balance of play was even early, with possession bouncing between the two teams during the first 20 minutes of play. TCU totaled eight corner kicks in the first half, and the Horned Frogs converted on their fifth. TCU went up 1-0 as Irish senior goalkeeper Jaina Eckert was unable to save a header form TCU junior forward Messiah Bright.

Though sophomore midfielder Maddie Mercado and sophomore forward Kati Druzina had early attempts for the Irish, the Horned Frogs still led going into halftime.

Neither team was able to get a shot on goal for nearly 20 minutes at the start of the second half. However, both teams quickly increased their efforts. Mercado launched a shot in the 64th minute, but TCU goalkeeper Emily Alvarado was able to make the save. This attempt was followed by a quick succession of shots against Eckert, who was able to make a career-high eight saves over the course of the game.

However, TCU senior midfielder Yazmeen Ryan got a far-post strike past Eckert in minute 75, putting the Horned Frogs ahead 2-0.

The Irish would fire back just under two minutes later as sophomore forward Kiki Van Zanten fired past Alvarado for her first goal of the spring and team-high seventh of the season.

The Irish made two more attempts but only came close to an equalizer in the 84th minute when junior defender Brianna Martinez caused Alvarado to scramble for a save.

The match in Fort Worth served as the season finale for the Irish.