Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024

University breaks ground on Raclin Murphy Museum of Art

The University broke ground on the Raclin Murphy Museum of Art, according to a Monday press release. The museum, which will be located on the south side of campus on Eddy St., will open in the fall of 2023.

1620077900-3d2a56418487952-700x390
Courtesy of the University of Notre Dame
A rendering of the Raclin Murphy Museum of Art, which is set to open in fall of 2023, shows the building off of Eddy St. and in the University’s arts district.

The location for the museum was chosen because it sits in the middle of the campus arts district, with the Charles B. Hayes Sculpture Park, Debartolo Performing Arts Center, O’Neill Hall of Music and Walsh Family Hall of Architecture close by.

The museum is set to open in two phases — the first phase consisting of 70,000 square feet devoted to teaching and gallery spaces, retail space and a cafe.

With the help of leading benefactor Ernestine Raclin — a trustee emerita — as well as her daughter and son-in-law, Carmi and Christopher Murphy, the museum is meant to be a national attraction.

“Since its founding, Notre Dame has valued the vital role the visual arts play as an expression of human creativity, religious experience and insight into the human condition,” University President Fr. John Jenkins said in the press release.

The museum was designed by the New York-based design firm of Robert A. M. Stern Architects.