Guiliano smashes program record twice in day two of ACC Championship

Irish freshman swimmer Chris Guiliano broke the school record for the 50 freestyle twice during day two of the ACC Championship.

Guiliano took to the block for the preliminary race of the 50-free. Qualifying for the finals in the NCAA B cut, Guiliano swam a 19.28. This broke the previous program record of 19.30 set in 2018 by Justin Plaschka. In the 50-free finals, Guiliano earned third in the B-cut and 11th overall, but he swam a 19.35. 

This is not the first time Guiliano has set a record for the Irish this season. Guiliano set a Notre Dame pool record while leading off the 200-free relay at the Tim Welsh Classic, touching in a time of 19.60. His 19.28 race Wednesday morning smashed that time, but it was not his last performance of the day. 

Toward the end of day two, Guiliano took to the block again, this time to swim the lead leg of the 200-free relay. He came up with a split of 19.17, breaking his own morning record by 0.11 seconds. The freshman led junior Cason Wilburn, sophomore Stephan Lukashev and senior Josh Bottelberghe to sixth place in the relay with a time of 1:16.98. Their time, although within the NCAA A cut, fell 0.1 seconds short of tying Notre Dame’s program record for the relay. 

The Irish are not done competing, as the championship meet carries through Saturday.