Thursday, May 16, 2024

Belles win MIAA golf championship, advance to 11th NCAA Tournament

The 2021-2022 Saint Mary’s golf team advanced to their 11th Division III NCAA championship tournament. They qualified by winning the MIAA championships. The Belles started their season off strong in the fall, landing in high ranks in their first several tournaments. The promising results continued, punctuated by their conference championship. 

Head coach Jordan Koehler’s second year is looking even better than her first. However, she credits their progression to the NCAA tournament to junior Erin Bennett, sophomore Haley Angel and junior Katherine Hopkins. She says they “have really stepped up and been very consistent for us this spring.” Koehler added, “They might not always get the recognition they deserve.” 

Senior Sydney Hruskoci has been another huge asset on the team this year. “She’s really pulled through for us the last three rounds of the season. Especially the final day shooting 74 to take medalist honors,” Koehler said. “As our lone senior, her leadership shone through this season.” The Belles have high hopes for Hruskoci this May in her last championship tournament. A younger member of the team, freshman Isa Patacsil, had career rounds of 78 and 77.

“[It] was huge for her individually to pull through and make an impact on our lead heading into the final day.” Koehler said of Patacsil’s efforts. 

Some highlights of the season include the Belles winning all three of the MIAA championship tournaments. Looking at individual averages from the fall to this spring, the roster largely improved their scores across the board. 

After their successful spring season so far, the Belles anticipate good results at the NCAA championships this May. After a 17th-place finish last year, their goal is to make the top-155 cut.

NCAAs has a ton of top 25 teams [in Division III] there. But it is shaping up to be a great and challenging field that we are excited and ready to compete in.” Koehler said.