Saturday, July 27, 2024

Animation recommendations: ‘Mob Psycho 100’

“Your life is your own” 

In this world, we are all born with our own special gifts, whether we see them that way or not. Some people are fast, “booksmart”, or good at art. Either way, they are just another characteristic. We must embrace that as part of ourselves and continue to live positively. However, the truth behind one’s charm is kindness. We must simply become good people, that is all. That is what Reigen Arataka teaches Shigeo Kageyama, also known as Mob throughout the show “Mob Psycho 100.” Great words to live by coming straight from the mouth of a con artist.

“Mob Psycho 100” stars the lovable and kind-hearted Shigeo Kageyama, also known as Mob throughout the show. He is an emotionless middle school kid who struggles to figure out who he is and his presence in this world. He may seem weak, but little do those around him know that he is the most powerful esper (immense psychic power) in the show. However, when his emotions overwhelm him, they cause him to lash out and lose control of his powers, forcing him to suppress all his emotions. He finds help learning to control these powers from the self-proclaimed spirit medium Reigen Arataka, though it is revealed from the moment you meet him that is a complete lie, unbeknownst to Mob. Together, they help solve cases and fight demons, as well as other espers, all while Mob tries to figure out his true self and live a normal life.

While the premise seems simple enough, “Mob Psycho 100”  is an example of never judging a book by its cover. The author of the manga, who simply goes by ONE, creates a beautiful story about two characters growing together in their own unique way. It is truly special seeing Mob not wanting to always rely on his psychic powers, but rather wanting to grow and get stronger naturally both physically and mentally. He hates resorting to violence if other espers try to harm him or the ones he loves, and feels immense guilt whenever he is forced to use them. Reigen grows by realizing the potential in Mob and wanting to help him use his powers for good, while also teaching him to become a good person overall. While Reigen does take advantage of Mob’s powers in order to support his esper business, you can see that he genuinely cares about Mob and wants the best for him.

Lastly, while the story is amazing, I have to geek out over the animation. Studio Bones uses every cent of its budget to make one of the most visually pleasing shows I have ever seen. It is displayed best when the action starts and your eyes will be glued to the screen with all the popping colors and fluidity of each frame. Studio Bones even uses very minimal line drawings that help display humor and characters’ reactions and emotions, yet will instantly switch to the most breathtaking frame of animation you will ever see. The opening credits alone convinced me to start the show, as you can see the love and care everyone involved put into it.

If you want a genuinely heartwarming story about a kid learning to figure out his purpose in life, all while having over-the-top action and humor, “Mob Psycho 100” is the show for you. The third and final season is coming out this October. If they can stick the landing and end the show right, this will be a show that has very minimal flaws. While the HBO Max Animation Massacre took this show off, I would say it is worth getting a Crunchyroll account to watch this instead.

Title: “Mob Psycho 100”

Director: Yuzuru Tachikawa

Starring: Setsuo Ito, Takahiro Sakurai

Streaming: Crunchyroll

Shamrocks: 4 out of 5

Contact Gabriel Zarazua at gzarazua@nd.edu.