Jeremiyah Love commits, brings explosive running to the Irish

Running back Jeremiyah Love verbally committed to Notre Dame on Oct. 15, 2022, on his fourth official visit to Notre Dame. Love committed to Notre Dame despite receiving offers from Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, LSU, Oregon, USC and Texas A&M among other schools. With national signing day upon college football, Love is officially locked in with the Irish.

Love received a 6.0 rating on Rivals, which places him in the higher end of the “All-American Candidate” category. This category rates Love as a high end four star recruit and among the top 300 recruits in the nation. This category is reserved for recruits that are expected to be drafted to the NFL in the later part of the first round or on the second day of the draft.

The St. Louis native is listed at 6'1''and 188 pounds. Love has the capability to produce big plays in the passing and running game. In his last two years of high school, Love averaged 9.7 yards per carry and 19.7 yards per catch. While he has a great initial burst, his speed on long runs is what sets him apart from other recruits. 

Love’s athleticism was on full display in his senior season with Christian Brothers College High School, especially in the postseason where he led his team to the state title. In the postseason, Love rushed for 661 yards and 12 touchdowns off of 60 carries and recorded five receptions for 127 yards, including three touchdowns. In the state final, Love had his best game of his high school career, rushing for 211 yards off of just 19 carries.

Kyle Kelly, a Notre Dame recruiting analyst at Rivals, said the Irish are very intrigued by Love’s athleticism.

“Jeremiyah Love is an intriguing one. He’s a running back and overall athlete out of Missouri, and Notre Dame really likes it,” Kelly said.

Kelly could see Notre Dame utilizing Love at different positions because of his pass-catching abilities and two-way talent.

“He can see some time at receiver — he also has the potential to play cornerback, although I think Notre Dame is going to try to keep him on the offensive side of the ball,” Kelly said.

Love is likely the only running back recruit in the 2023 class, as fellow recruit Jayden Limar projects to flip to Oregon. Love will join a talented Irish backfield that is led by sophomores Audric Estime and Logan Diggs and junior Chris Tyree. It is likely that Love will not see much action his freshman season behind this talented group of running backs, but Love could be utilized in a slot role if the Irish are desperate for wide receivers in 2023. Although he might not see action immediately, Love projects to be an integral part of the Irish offense a couple of years down the road.

Contact Nate Moller at nmoller2@nd.edu