Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024

A Valentine’s date: ‘Your Place or Mine’

1676494560-7887221b395f5a9-700x467

As the celebrations for Valentine’s Day continue throughout the week, I look to romantic comedies to fill the void which comes with being single on a holiday made for couples. There are always the classic romantic comedies that I can rely on such as “10 Things I Hate About You” or “When Harry Met Sally,” but this year I decided to stray from the comfort shows and try something new.

“Your Place or Mine” is the current trending movie on Netflix that stars Ashton Kutcher and Reese Witherspoon as a couple who slept together once and then became best friends — best friends for the next 20 years I might add. When they have the chance to house-swap for a week, they are able to finally understand the other person and maybe even find love. Now, I know the premise is kind of cliche. Best friends to lovers trope? Been there and done that. However, “Your Place or Mine” is actually really sweet — almost too sweet at points — and it is funny. Debbie (Reese Witherspoon) goes after her dreams during that week and Peter (Ashton Kutcher) takes care of her teenage son. Both characters are flawed and make mistakes, but that makes them more genuine. There are also more love interests in the mix such as Theo James (Jesse Williams) and Minka (Zoe Chao).

“Your Place or Mine” is a feel-good, romantic, lighthearted comedy which was exactly what I needed for my Valentine’s Day. It is a movie that reminds us that sometimes it takes a while to find “the one” and that we shouldn’t stop trying just because things do not work out. The plot does have some strange elements such as Debbie’s gardener Zen (Steve Zahn), who felt unnecessary, and Peter’s inability to keep relationships for more than six months (an immediate red flag), but overall I enjoyed this movie and would recommend it to anyone searching for a good romantic comedy, especially during the season of love.

Title: “Your Place or Mine”

Starring: Ashton Kutcher, Reese Witherspoon, Jesse Williams

Director(s): Aline Brosh McKenna

If you like: “10 Things I Hate About You,” “When Harry Met Sally”

Shamrocks: 4 out of 5