Tri-campus plans for commencement weekend

This weekend, students across the tri-campus will reach the culmination of their academic experiences as commencement ceremonies at Notre Dame, Holy Cross and Saint Mary’s all take place.

The festivities begin Friday, May 19 as Saint Mary’s holds its commencement mass at 4 p.m. in O’Laughlin auditorium. Holy Cross also holds a commencement mass in St. Joseph Chapel, and Notre Dame hosts a send-off ceremony for seniors involved in the Center for Social Concerns at 7 p.m. in the Debartolo Performing Arts Center.

On Saturday, the events kick into full gear. St. Mary’s will have its commencement ceremony at noon on Le Mans Green. In addition to St. Mary’s three valedictorians, environmentalist, cartographer and entrepreneur Molly A. Burhans will speak at the commencement. Burhans is the founder of Good Lands which works “to mobilize large landholders to use their property for environmental and humanitarian good,” according to Saint Mary’s website. Gretchen Flicker, a member of the Board of Trustees, and Ida Stockman, Michigan State professor emerita of communicative sciences and disorders, will also receive honorary degrees. Businessman William Schmuhl will be presented with the presidential medal.

Just down the road at 2 p.m., Holy Cross College will hold its commencement in the Pfeil Center. After speeches from valedictorian Stephen McNulty and College president Marco Clark, Fr. Fred Jenga will give the commencement address. Jenga is the president of Holy Cross Family Ministries.

At Notre Dame, Saturday morning will put the focus on graduate students. The Graduate School and the Mendoza School of Business host their commencement ceremonies at 9 a.m. in Notre Dame Stadium and the north dome of the Joyce Center, respectively. At 10:30 a.m., the Law School will confer degrees at Purcell Pavilion. A total of 547 students will receive degrees from the Graduate School, 512 will receive master’s degrees from the Mendoza School of Business and 182 students will receive law degrees, according to a University spokesperson.

Prior to this, at 9 a.m., the ROTC commissioning ceremony will take place in the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center.

Throughout the afternoon, 13 undergraduate colleges and majors will host diploma ceremonies throughout campus. The commencement mass will then take place at 5 p.m. at Purcell Pavilion. 

Sunday morning marks the date for Notre Dame’s 178th University-wide commencement ceremony at 9:30 a.m. in Notre Dame Stadium. For the 14th straight year, thousands of family and friends will pack the stands to watch their loved ones graduate.

2,141 degrees will be conferred on undergraduate students,” a press release from the University said.

In addition to an invocation by salutatorian Miguel Coste and an address by valedictorian Kristen Friday, former president of Columbia and Nobel Peace Prize winner Juan Manuel Santos will speak and receive an honorary degree. Sister Rosemary Connelly, R.S.M. will also be presented with the prestigious Laetare Medal.

The events conclude Sunday afternoon as the last undergraduate diploma ceremonies are held at 2 p.m.