Belles basketball gears up for for busy schedule over break

Students across the tri-campus will likely use their winter break as a time to relax. That won’t be the case for the Saint Mary’s basketball team, though. Between Wednesday and the end of winter break, the Belles play 10 times, starting Wednesday night against Hope. The game at home at tips off at 6 p.m. Hope is 6-1 and just saw guard Olivia Bellows win MIAA Women's Basketball Athlete of the Week.

After that contest, the Belles begin a stretch that includes three of their next four games on the road. The lone exception to that is an intra-tri-campus matchup with Holy Cross at 3 p.m. on Dec. 17. In between now and then, the Belles travel to play Trine on Dec. 9 at 1 p.m.

The Holy Cross contest starts a stretch of four straight non-conference matchups for Saint Mary’s. The Belles’ final game before Christmas takes place on Dec. 19 at 6 p.m. against Illinois Tech. The Scarlet Hawks are 2-5 this year but are coming off a blowout win over Alverno in their conference opener Saturday.

Following a 10-day break, Saint Mary’s travels to Dubuque, Iowa, for the Loras Holiday Tournament. They’ll face Loras on Dec. 29 at 2 p.m. and Simpson at 1 p.m. the next day. Loras is currently 4-2 on the year while Simpson sits at 4-4.

Those are the final non-conference games on the schedule for the Belles this season. Saint Mary’s returns home to face Kalamazoo on Jan. 3 at 6 p.m. Kalamazoo is currently the lone MIAA team still looking for its first win at 0-5. Their final road contest of break comes three days later at 1 p.m. at Alma, who is 5-4 on the season. Following that, the Belles begin a three-game homestand that includes two games before students return to campus — Jan. 10 against Olivet at 6 p.m. and Jan. 13 against Adrian at 1 p.m.

Sign up for our Observer Sports newsletter!Have an Irish sports question? Ask it for our Observer Sports mailbag!