Fun in the Bend

I'm sure that you all have noticed that it is Wednesday.

Wednesday is the middle of the week - and we, as students, are overwhelmed with the daily drudge of homework and tests. However, Wednesdays do have one major plus - there are only two days until Friday and we all know what that means. We look forward to the weekends as times to relax, catch up on lost sleep and, most importantly, have fun.

On Wednesdays, we start thinking about what we are going to do this weekend. It is not a football weekend, so most believe the choices are fairly limited. I'm sure that by now even the freshmen have noticed how the game dictates life on the Notre Dame campus, as well as the surrounding town. On Fridays, the parties are rockin', the beer is free and Domers are pumped about tomorrow's game. On Saturday, depending on how the team does, bars and dorm rooms are either full of celebrating people or full of people wishing to drown their sorrows in beer (either way, you get a lot of really drunk people). And on Monday, you can always figure out the spirit of the game by reading articles in The Observer.

But what do you do on weekends that are not football weekends? Contrary to public belief, there are several options available for entertainment in the local vicinity.

For starters, the Morris Performing Arts Center provides concerts and plays just about every weekend. This weekend, the band B.B. King is performing and student tickets are still available.

If your interests are in history, may I suggest stepping back to 1840 during this historical reenactment complete with two log homes, archery demonstrations, skillet throws, crafts, and do not forget the exciting candle dips. Admission is free and it is located at Hester's Farm on State Road 23 in Walkerton.

Yet another option is a visit to the Niles Haunted House Scream Park. They provide five different scary attractions in one location and they are perhaps one of the only haunted houses that provides different routes through the house so that, no matter how many times you go through, you will not be scared by the same things twice. They also have a haunted hayride, a magician and Grimm's Scary Tales, along with others.

It's worth the trip. The Niles Haunted House is located on Mayflower Road just east of U.S. 31. If you want to be scared at all five attractions, plan on spending roughly $20 per person.