Security guard charged

Timothy Clark, a Notre Dame security officer recently fired by the University, was arraigned earlier this week in Elkhart County for child battery on a Class B felony, said Elkhart County Prosecutor Curtis Hill.

Hill said the case is still under investigation and further charges may be filed by his office.

The Elkhart Truth reported that Clark, 32, admitted to police he dropped and shook his infant son, Samuel Clark, between Sept. 29 and Oct. 6, causing a skull fracture and broken wrist, rib, leg and facial bone. The Truth reported that police did not believe the mother, Elizabeth Clark, was involved in the incident.

The University originally put Clark on paid leave when he was arrested by the Elkhart County Sheriff's office Oct. 8 for assaulting his seven-week-old baby. Clark was employed by Notre Dame as a security officer.

Though University spokesman Matt Storin said the University is no longer fielding matters related to Timothy Clark, he said, "There are two polices. When there is an investigation of wrongdoing, generally the person is put on unpaid leave. The second policy that comes into play is that if you don't show up for three days without contacting the University or having a valid reason, you are terminated and that is germane to this case."

Hill said a class B felony carries a presumptive sentence of 10 years in prison, which can be reduced to six years or be increased by a maximum of 10 additional years.

Clark remains in the Elkhart County jail with a bond set at $80,000.