Huskies too strong at home in 85-74 victory

Washington showed Notre Dame why they haven't lost at home since March of 2002.

Husky freshman Cameo Hicks scored a career-high 24 points while teammate Giuliana Mendiola added 27 points, eight rebounds and seven assists to help Washington (5-0) stay undefeated with an 85-74 victory over Notre Dame (3-4) Sunday afternoon in Seattle. The loss dropped Notre Dame's road record to 1-4 for the season, with all five road opponents receiving votes in the polls when the game began.

The Huskies out-rebounded the Irish 43-33 for the game and outscored Notre Dame 24-10 in second-chance points.

Washington coach June Daugherty was pleased with her team's performance, especially rebounding, in winning their 17th straight home victory.

"It was a good win. We knew Notre Dame was coming in here with an enormous amount of talent," Daugherty said. "Obviously our rebounding was a big difference and helped us get into our running game and get some easy things."

The Irish were paced by forward Jacqueline Batteast and guard Megan Duffy. Batteast had 19 points, five rebounds, five assists and four blocks. Duffy continued her solid play by adding 17 points, knocking down 3-of-5 3-pointers and dishing out a career-high nine assists. Duffy did have four of Notre Dame's 11 turnovers.

Irish forward Courtney LaVere struggled for much of the game, making only 3-of-13 shots and finishing with nine points, but she led the team with nine rebounds.

Washington jumped out to a 13-7 lead with 14:16 left in the first half when Mendiola drained a jumper. The Huskies led by as many as eight points before Notre Dame overtook them, 33-32, on a Teresa Borton field goal with 2:16 left in the half.

But Washington scored seven of the last nine points before halftime to lead 39-35 at intermission.

Hicks nailed a jumper with 14:22 left in the game to give Washington its biggest lead up to that point at 54-44. The team's exchanged baskets for the next seven minutes as the Husky lead fluctuated from six to 10 points.

But Mendiola drilled a 3-pointer with 4:54 left in the second half to extend the Washington lead to 78-63. The Huskies would lead by as many as 16 before the game ended.

"I thought our whole team showed a lot of poise," Daugherty said. "Everyone knew this was a big game, it's been circled on my calendar since the summer. These are games you work hard in the offseason for."

Notre Dame has now lost three of four games as they prepare for Dayton at the Joyce Center next Saturday.