SMC student gov't announces election results

The results of the Saint Mary's election for class officers were announced Wednesday after all-day voting Tuesday on PRISM.

Students had the opportunity to vote only for the candidates representing their respective classes, and student government officials said the voter turnout was on par with what was expected, with 53 percent of the class of 2007 voting, 30 percent of the class of 2006 and 50 percent of the class of 2005. This is the second year that Saint Mary's has used online voting, which has caused increased voter turnout compared to past years.

"I think in the next couple years you should see Saint Mary's student government become efficient at alerting the campus that an election is going on and having a higher voter turn out," student body president Elizabeth Jablonski-Diehl said.

Claudia Toth was named president of the Class of 2007, winning 63 percent of the votes. Kathleen Kindt will serve as vice president, Kristen Bogdanowicz as secretary and Deanna Shorsten as treasurer.

"Our immediategoal, as we take over, isto first establish our class board for the following school year," Toth said. "From there, wewant begin thinking of activities and events that we can plan for our class for next year."

The runner-up in the Class of 2007 election, receiving 33 percent of the votes, was the McIlduff/Littell ticket. Four percent of the class abstained.

Despite running unopposed, the Class of 2006 Lerner/Palasky ticket had to receive a majority of the votes in order to be named class officers, and the candidates did so, winning 67 percent of the vote. Danielle Lerner was named president of the Class of 2006, Liz Palasky will be the vice President, Nichole McCloud, secretary, and Kellye Mitros, treasurer.

Lerner said she hopes to send a survey to the class regarding Junior Mom's Weekend and the Junior Dance. She believes that the input she receives about these larger events will help with planning and give the students what they want. Lerner also hopes to begin to organize the Senior Mentor program, through which juniors will be paired with seniors; in turn, the seniors can help the junior student with things such as employment and internships.

"I am really excited and looking forward to next year," Lerner said.

Jaqueline Cuisinier was named senior class president, with 50 percent of the votes. Abby Ragan will serve as vice president, Beth Bennett, secretary, and Jodie Emerick, treasurer.

Their opponents, the Casciari/Michalak ticket, received 40 percent of the total vote.

Cuisinier said she hopes to put together her senior board and begin planning events such as a housewarming party for the new on-campus apartments, tailgates and Senior Dad's Weekend.

"We are very honored and extremely excited to represent our class. The four of us plan to work with the class in order to make our last year at Saint Mary's the best it could possibly be," Cuisinier said.