Easter Treats for Post-Lent Celebration

After forty long days of depriving yourself from everything from sweets to soda, Easter Sunday provides the perfect opportunity to try your hand at some easy traditional recipes for your family celebration. Your mom will probably insist on preparing the ham, but maybe you can add some tasty sides and desserts to the feast. Here are some ideas for you to start cooking.

Hot Cross Buns 3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)3 tablespoons butter1 tablespoon instant powdered milk1/4 cup white sugar3/8 teaspoon salt1 egg1 egg white3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon active dry yeast3/4 cup currants1 teaspoon ground cinnamon1 egg yolk2 tablespoons water1/2 cup confectioners' sugar1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract2 teaspoons milk

Put warm water, butter, skim milk powder, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, egg, egg white, flour and yeast in bread maker and start on dough program. When 5 minutes of kneading are left, add currants and cinnamon. Leave in machine until double in size. Punch down on floured surface, cover and let rest 10 minutes. Shape into 12 balls and place in a greased 9 x 12 inch pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 35 to 40 minutes. Mix egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water. Brush on balls. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack. To make crosses: mix together confectioners' sugar, vanilla and milk. Brush an X on each cooled bun. Recipe makes 12 buns.Courtesy of Sue Lister. Copyright © 2004; www.allrecipes.com., All Rights Reserved

Carrot Cup Cakes 2 cups sugar 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 3 extra-large eggs 2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 2 teaspoons baking soda 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt 3 cups grated carrots (less than 1 pound) 1 cup raisins 1 cup chopped walnuts For the frosting: 3/4 pound cream cheese, at room temperature 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 1 pound confectioners' sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Beat the sugar, oil and vanilla together in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Add the grated carrots, raisins and walnuts to the remaining flour, mix well and add to the batter. Mix until just combined. Line muffin pans with paper liners. Scoop the batter into 22 muffin cups until each is 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and cook for a further 35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a rack. For the frosting, cream the cream cheese, butter and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the sugar and beat until smooth. When the cupcakes are cool, frost them generously and serve. Makes 22 cupcakes.Courtesy of Barefoot Contessa Parties, Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Contact Maureen Malloy at mmalloy1@nd.edu