Scrimmage evokes mixed response

With all the on- and off-campus social options this weekend, many students are left wondering whether or not they will attend tonight's full-team football scrimmage scheduled for 7:35 p.m. in Notre Dame Stadium.

Aside from the Blue-Gold Game, which takes place each spring, the football team has never had an open scrimmage at the beginning of the season.

A sneak preview of the team is an incentive for freshman Eric Himmelsbach.

"I think I'd probably go," Himmelsbach said. "I guess [I'm interested in] just seeing how the team looks. I'm hoping they'll get back to being as good as they were a couple years ago rather than how they were last year."

April's Blue-Gold Game featured the Irish offense scrimmaging the defense, a well-attended contest that is always a major campus event.

Sophomore Kevin Braun thinks this scrimmage will far surpass the Blue-Gold Game in April.

"I think it will be better [than the Blue-Gold Game] because you get to see the improvement and adjustments that [the team] made over the summer," Braun said. "Everyone's had three more months of playing time together."

The scrimmage did not receive much attention around campus this week, as students bought tickets for the Student Union Board's Jason Mraz/Talib Kweli concert or made other social plans for tonight.

"I was unaware that there was a football scrimmage," sophomore Megan Davenport said. "If I had known, I might have changed plans so I could have gone out and supported the team."

Although professing an interest in football, sophomore Andy Astuno did not plan on attending the game.

"I don't plan on going," he said. "I suppose Friday night might not be ideal, given Rally."

Freshman Bridget Keating hoped to be able to see both events tonight.

"[The game is] a preview and a great look at this football season," she said. "It should be fun and a great opportunity to show support this year in the season."

Keating mentioned that she is a fan of Jason Mraz and looked forward to seeing him in concert as well.

"I love music. I would never pass up the chance to see a live show," she said.