Keeping non-partisan status

In response to the cries of partisanship expressed in Wednesday's Viewpoint, the steering committee for ND Rock the Vote would like to set the record straight.

First, certain members of the community need to realize that ND Rock the Vote is a separate venture from the national organization Rock the Vote. Beyond supplying our venture with voter registration materials and a few bold "Rock the Vote" posters, we have no affiliation with the national organization. ND Rock the Vote is a venture strictly sponsored by the Center for Social Concerns and run by student leaders from various political and non-partisan campus organizations.

Anyone who would like to learn more about our particular mission and the events we have organized for Notre Dame in this election year can visit the Center for Social Concerns website. Likewise, anyone who would like to know the details of the Youth Venture "Choose or Lose" Grant awarded to Notre Dame by MTV can find more information and a list of the other 19 grant recipients at www.youthventure.org.

Second, anyone who believes that partisanship pervades ND Rock the Vote should know that it appears so for one reason: College Republicans are significantly underrepresented at our weekly committee meetings.

College Republicans, please know that while your co-presidents faithfully attend each Rock the Vote meeting, your general absence is noticeable, disturbing and unacceptable. As student coordinators, we unfortunately assume that your absence is by choice for ND Rock the Vote publicizes the time and place of our meetings - Wednesdays at 5 pm at the CSC - and all are welcome to attend.

As leaders and politically conscious citizens, College Republicans, you have an obligation to foster healthy political dialogue in your time here at Notre Dame. With 40 days left until the election, we hope that you will not continue to ignore this opportunity to share your ideas and offer your unique perspectives.

On behalf of the steering committee, we would like to formally re-invite you and all the other loyal sons and daughters of Notre Dame to participate in ND Rock the Vote and make it your own.

Kate Distler

junior

Pasquerilla East

Sept. 24