Don't ignore greater aims

I say it's gold, you say it's yellow. You say toe-may-toe, I say to-mah-to. What difference does it make? In response to Mr. Kamradt's Sept. 21 letter in particular as well as in response to all those complaining about "The Shirt," I beg you to knock it off already. I've become increasingly more astonished and annoyed by the exchanges in The Observer about "The Shirt" since its unveiling last spring. When I first arrived at Notre Dame two years ago and learned about "The Shirt," I was told that every year students form a committee and design a shirt, and the proceeds from the sales of "The Shirt" benefit charity.

I was also told that The Shirt campaign was started to help a fellow student in need. I thought this was a very noble endeavor, and I thought that it illustrated that Notre Dame students have both heart and initiative. While Mr. Kamradt is embarassed that the "sea of yellow" made our students look like Michigan fans, I am embarrassed that the debate over the color of "The Shirt" has completely overshadowed the greater aim of this project. I expect more from my fellow Notre Dame students and Notre Dame alums. If you don't like the gold/yellow shirt, join "The Shirt" committee and lobby to have it changed for next year. Until then, show support for both the cause it serves and for our team, wear the '05 Shirt, and use the effort expended to argue about the color of "The Shirt" for more noble ends.

Rebecca McCumbers

grad student

Off Campus

Sept. 21