WOMEN'S INTERHALL BLUE LEAGUE: Wild Women to clash with Chaos

Undefeated Cavanaugh and Walsh meet Sunday at 2 p.m. on the West Quad Fields in a rematch of last year's women's interhall title game. They'll bring with them playoff hopes for this season as well as scars from the last.

"Everybody who's returning knows how big it's going to be, and the freshmen have gotten more and more excited as the season has gone on," Walsh captain Mary Ellen Botta said.

The Wild Women have plenty of reason for excitement this year.

With a 3-0 record, they join the Chaos (also 3-0) as the only remaining undefeated teams in the women's Blue league.

Botta credits offensive ingenuity and turnovers as the keys to Walsh's success so far.

"We've got some creative offense that we've been using in our games this season and a tough defense," Botta said. "We've had at least two interceptions each game - we really rely on our defense."

On top of its stifling defense, Cavanaugh boasts an offense that comes up big in clutch situations.

"The defense has been a big factor in our winning because they haven't allowed one point yet and the offense can make plays when they need to," Chaos receiver Elisa Suarez said. "Whenever we need to step up we do."

For both teams, it will likely be the first time they are challenged all season.

The Cavanaugh defense has yet to allow a point this season, while the Wild Women have outscored their opponents 53-7.

In a battle between two teams used to dominating, mental toughness could be vital.

"I think [mental toughness] is going to play a big role," Suarez said. "And also not getting flustered - whoever just sticks out is going to come out the winner."

In addition to having playoff implications, the game is also a rematch of last year's championship game played in Notre Dame Stadium, when Walsh upset the favored Chaos 20-7.

"This game is huge because it's the Stadium Game from last year so we want to show them that we can win," Suarez said.

With all the hype surrounding the game, Botta is confident her Wild Women will keep the game in perspective and come out on top.

"[The game] won't make or break the season, but it'll be great to get a big win on Sunday," she said.

Still, Botta and the Wild Women will need to watch out for a team hungry for revenge.

"Yes we are bitter, definitely, and we're looking for payback," Suarez said.

Howard vs. Badin

Howard and Badin are meeting up Sunday at 1 p.m. on West Quad in a women's Blue league match-up of longtime rivals.

These South Quad teams have struggled this season, meaning this game is a toss-up.

Badin won their first game against Lyons but has not scored a touchdown since in consecutive losses to Walsh and Cavanaugh.

The Bullfrogs can still salvage a winning season if they turn things around and beat Howard and then defeat Lewis on Tuesday.

Howard is still looking for its first win and has yet to score this season, losing in blowouts against Lyons and Cavanaugh and a heartbreaker against Lewis in which the game was tied until the final three minutes.

Both teams are still working on their interception-prone offenses and strengthening their defenses.

Neither teams' captains could be reached for comment Thursday.