Women's Interhall Gold League: Teams prepare for Tuesday showdowns

In a game that could decide postseason destinies, the showdown between the Pasquerilla West Weasels and the McGlinn Shamrocks Tuesday night at Riehle Fields at 8 p.m. is guaranteed to be a good one.

Coming off a tie with Welsh Family, Pasquerilla West is looking to make a late season charge into the playoffs past rival Pasquerilla East.

The Weasels took Monday as a resting day in between back-to-back games with two undefeated West Quad juggernauts, Welsh Family and McGlinn, th eGold League's only undefeated team.

"Their [McGlinn's] being undefeated is motivation enough for this game," Davies said. "We have been looking forward to this game."

McGlinn is coming off another win, a 13-6 victory against Breen-Philips on Sunday. The win, coupled with the Welsh Family tie, cemented McGlinn's place at the top of the standings in the Gold League and guarantees the Shamrocks a spot in the playoffs this year.

The Shamrocks are playing to match Cavanaugh's best record in interhall, while th e Weasels are hoping to extend their season to the playoffs.

Farley vs. Welsh Family

Late in the interhall football season, there are bound to be games loaded with playoff implications. Today's matchup between Farley and Welsh Family is no different.

With a win, Farley will finish with a 3-3 record and secure a spot in the Gold League brackets. Welsh Family, with a record of 2-1-1, will need to win this game and their next against McGlinn to keep their postseason hopes alive.

Farley is coming off of a big win against Pasquerilla East in which senior quarterback Katie Popik threw for 200 yards in a blowout.

The Finest are expecting another big game from Popik, as well as her standout receivers Diane Duran and Annie Parrett and running backs Kim Crehan and Jenny Rolfs. Their defense has a made big plays, including two picks by Megan Hurt last week.

"We've got some momentum going, and our confidence has been boosted," Parrett said. "We have a chance to win this game, it's just a matter of executing."

Welsh Family's season has been the opposite of Farley's, with two wins to start, and their last two games ending in a loss and a tie.

"We practiced well on Friday, and we really played well in the second half of our last game [against PW]," said junior wide receiver Wendy Svetanoff.

The Whirlwinds will rely on senior quarterback Melissa Sands and their receivers, especially Kelly Bushelle, as well as a balanced defense that seems to have a different player step up whenever it's needed.

Breen-Phillips vs. Pangborn

At Riehle West Field tonight, the Breen-Phillips Babes will finish up their season against the heavily favored Pangborn Phoxes. No playoff berths are on the line, so both teams will be playing simply for a matter of pride.

The Phoxes compiled a 4-1 record this season and have clinched playoff birth.

Once again Pangborn hopes to get a strong performance out of their trio in the backfield. Quarterback Katie Mooney and running backs Tricia Connelly and Brinn Johnson have excelled all year.

Breen-Phillips is eager for the game tonight in hopes of having some pluses to build on for next season. The team has had a hard time getting their offense going all year long and has been shut out twice.