WOMEN'S INTERHALL: PE geared to upset rival PW

As the season is dying down, one of the biggest rivalries in the women's dorms still has yet to be played, but the best Pasquerilla will be decided Sunday at 2 p.m. at Riehle Fields.

Coming into this game, Pasquerilla West is the clear favorite, as the Purple Weasels are guaranteed a playoff spot and are now just playing for position while Pasquerilla East failed to qualify for the postseason. Despite the fact that the Pyros cannot advance, they can still play spoiler to the rival Purple Weasels.

Pyro coach Patrick Rigney has been impressed with his team this year.

"We've played a lot better than I thought we would," he said. "This is our last game for the year and a big rivalry, and we have been pushing our team hard to defend against them and win."

But even though the Pyros have the will to win, they still have to overcome a tough opponent in the Purple Weasels. Coming off a scoreless tie against unbeaten, untied McGlinn, the Purple Weasels are fired up to play this game.

If Pasquerilla East wants to have a chance at beating the Purple Weasels, it will have to be able to move the ball against their defense, since Pasquerilla West's offense has shown to be suspect at times.

The Purple Weasels also have to remember this game is important for their postseason ranking.

"We have had a good season, and we really want to end on a good note going into the playoffs," Pasquerilla West junior Annie Brusky said. "This is a big rivalry and we feel we are going to dominate ... Even though we are already in, we are telling ourselves that we need to win this game."

Welsh Fam vs. McGlinn

Win and they're in. It's as simple as that for the Welsh Family Whirlwinds as they square off with the unbeaten McGlinn Shamrocks Sunday at 1 p.m. at Riehle Fields.

The Whirlwinds are seeking to rebound from a loss before fall break to Farley.

"We understand what we have to do, and we're making the necessary changes to beat McGlinn," Welsh Fam wide receiver Kelley Bushelle said.

The Whirlwinds will have a sizeable task ahead of them as they take on a Shamrock team that has yet to allow any offensive points all season. McGlinn quarterback Becky Brown was quick to boast of her defense's accomplishment.

"Our defense has been strong all year," Brown said. "We haven't been scored upon all season and that stat says it all."

The Shamrocks bring a 4-0-1 record to the game that, with a win, will give them the second seed in the playoffs. McGlinn has already clinched a playoff berth and does not have a pressing need or sense of urgency to win this game. However, Brown believes her team - after a season of quality performances - is ready to take on the Whirlwinds in its finale.

"Our offense has really pulled together over the course of the year and our defense has been consistently strong," Brown said. "We're pretty excited and a ready to have a good showing at the game."

But defeating the Whirlwinds, who are playing for their playoff lives, will be no easy task.

"They're a good team, and they always play really well," Brown said. "It's going to be a really good game."

Despite the challenge ahead, the Whirlwinds are looking to step up against the Shamrocks and overcome any obstacle on their way to the playoffs. They know their path to the Stadium runs through McGlinn.