SMC Softball: Meisle hits two HRs in SMC sweep

Saint Mary's gained its ninth conference win as the team swept Tri-State 6-5 and 6-0. Freshman Kristin Amram captured her seventh shutout of the season, allowing only three hits in the second game. Junior shortstop Sarah Meisle knocked in two home runs, going 3-for-4 in the first game.

Tri-State jumped to an early 3-0 lead after the second inning in the opener. Shortstop Rainbow Bednarski scored and first baseman Ashley Kostelnik garnered an RBI double to give the Thunder the 2-0 lead. In the top of the second, right fielder Kara Graham drove in a run to bring the score to 3-0.

The Belles answered Tri-State's call in the bottom of the third when Meisle hit a three-run homer to tie the contest. Tri-State and Saint Mary's then went run for run, bringing the score to 5-5 and sending the game into extra innings.

"Throughout the season our main goal is to never give up," Amram said. "We proved just that - we didn't quit."

Freshman right fielder Calli Davison ended the game, sending Amram home off a fielder's choice.

The Belles carried their momentum into the second matchup, shutting out Tri-State 6-0.

"From the moment we came back [in the first game] the momentum never died down between games," Amram said.

Meisle opened the scoring in the top of the second when she blasted her second homer of the day to give the Belles their first run. Center fielder Laura Heline followed with a sacrifice fly to give Saint Mary's the 2-0 lead.

Meisle continued to dominate from behind the plate as she drove in another run in the top of the third. Bridget Grall and Martha Smid followed with RBIs in the top of the fourth to give the Belles a 5-0 lead. Freshman catcher Ashley Fusaro secured the Belles' lead as she homered in the top of the fifth to put Saint Mary's up 6-0.

Amram ensured the Belles win as she struck out eight from the mound and allowed only three hits.

Saint Mary's will play at Albion today at 3:30 p.m. in Albion, Mich.