Thanks for the memories

This is my last column. Lately, I have heard the word "last" thrown around quite a bit. For the most part, it always seems to invoke feelings of sadness, and I don't want to make this a sad article. The last two years I have spent writing for The Observer have been nothing but a great joy, so I don't plan on getting down on myself now.

Being named a columnist was a huge honor for me. Initially, I was surprised to get so much positive feedback - now I am very grateful for all the support I have received. It is always exciting when someone recognizes your name and says they enjoy your column. It is quite flattering to know that I actually have some readership. Most of the letters I received were either those thanking me for what I wrote, those telling me they enjoyed my humor or alums reminiscing. Additionally, every week I also received a number of invitations to parties and request for dates.

Of course, like any journalist, I have also received some negative responses. My "hate mail," as I refer to it, has come mostly from disgruntled Cubs fans and some people who dislike the lighthearted nature of my topics. I cannot say I completely disagree with these people because this has been quite true. I never wrote about "The Vagina Monologues," the Queer Film Festival or the 2004 elections because I thought I'd leave that that for the more erudite writers. Instead, I brought you why Weis is the right man for Notre Dame, tales from celebrating a White Sox World Series, why praying is important, why men no longer wear hats, etc. I figured that we listen to our peers' and professors' opinions on more serious topics on a daily basis - who needs to hear about mine? I highlighted the lighter, more social aspects of college, and have never regretted it.

As this is my last column, I suppose the topic of graduation is inevitable. In keeping with my trend of keeping things blithe, there is not much I can say about graduation except take pleasure in it. Spring in South Bend can actually be a lovely time of year, so enjoy the weekend with family and friends. It is not as though you are saying goodbye, because after four years, Notre Dame and Saint Mary's have become homes that will always welcome us back. Of course, this is not to undermine the fact that graduating is a big step in our lives. We are all about to embark on new adventures and encounter vast changes, but this should also be a time of celebration. We have accomplished a great deal in our collegiate careers, so have a celebratory glass of champagne and take your folks to the 'Backer to have some fun.

As we approach our last days of class, senior week and commencement, many fond memories of the last four years come to mind. I look back on the great relationships I have made with a vast variety of people. Though we've seen each other at our best and our worst, I seem to find myself looking back over these times with rose colored glasses. I keep having happy reminisces and can't help but thinking that if we hold on to these thoughts, we will maintain these close friendships forever.

Maybe it is just my own lighthearted nature that I have exhibited in my columns, but I believe that just because the time has come to move on, it is not necessarily time to get glum. Instead, I'd like to take heed of that famous humanitarian and comedian, Bob Hope, who so famously used to sing "Thanks for the memories ... How lovely it was." I've certainly made some wonderful friends over the past few years. I thank The Observer for this great honor and opportunity. It was a pleasure writing every other week and I appreciate your readership. I wish you all the best, and here's to a national championship next year!

Molly Acker is a senior communications studies and humanistic studies double major at Saint Mary's. She can be contacted at acke6758@saintmarys.edu

The views expressed in this column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer