SMC Volleyball: Saint Mary's faces Hope

Saint Mary's faces Hope College tonight at 6:30 at the Angela Athletic Center.

The Dutchmen are second in the MIAA with a 7-1 record and a 14-6 record overall. Saint Mary's stands at fourth in the conference at 7-4 against Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) opponents and 14-6 overall.

Belles coach Julie Schroeder-Biek believes the team just needs to take the game one step at a time.

"We are in the home stretch with some tough matches ahead of us," she said. "We just need to take things one game at a time and finish strong."

The Belles must watch out for Hope's senior middle hitter Amber Hoezee. She averages 4.4 kills a game with a .518 hitting percentage in two conference wins. She also contributed at the net, averaging one block per game to be named MIAA player of the week.

Tonight should be special for the three senior Belles - Ann Carpenter, Anne Cusack and Kristen Playko. All three have been huge assets to the team this season and will be honored at Saint Mary's senior night.

Playko is the team leader in kills with a 3.64 average per a game. She also has an average of 4.06 digs and a season total of 28 blocks.

Cusack averages 6.08 digs per a game and was the 2005 MIAA conference leader in digs.

Carpenter has 39 digs and 19 blocks on the season.

The conference action and senior ceremonies will start at 6:30 pm at Saint Mary's.