Laxers earn first conference victory

No. 12 Notre Dame picked up its first Big East win of the season Sunday, defeating Loyola 11-1 in Baltimore.

In giving up only one score, goalkeeper Erin Goodman and the Irish defense set a Notre Dame record for fewest goals allowed in a game. Goodman, a sophomore, recorded 14 saves on the game and allowed the only goal on a free-position shot in the second half.

The Irish took a 7-0 lead over the Greyhounds heading into halftime, led offensively by junior Caitlin McKinney's three early goals. After Notre Dame picked up a Lena Zentgraf goal 55 seconds into the second half, Loyola finally got on the board with the free-position goal from Kate McHarg.

Goodman and the Notre Dame defense stifled the Greyhounds the rest of the game, however, and piled on three more second-half goals for the victory.

The Irish offense was led by McKinney, who finished with four goals on the game. Sophomore Jillian Byers also contributed two goals and an assist, and the senior Zentgraf also turned in a strong performance with two goals and two assists.

With the goals, Byers and McKinney went over the 30-goal mark on the season - the second year in a row both players have reached that mark.

Both teams had 23 shots on goal for the game. Loyola goalkeeper Karen Nicolaus had six saves to Goodman's 14.

Goodman, in her first season as starting goalkeeper, has elevated her play since giving up 18 goals to defending NCAA champion Northwestern March 1. Since that loss, the sophomore is 5-1 with an 8.33 goals against average and a .550 save percentage.

With the win, Notre Dame improved to 7-2 overall, 1-1 in Big East play. Loyola fell to 1-6 and 0-2 in conference.

The 10-goal margin of victory tied for the largest Notre Dame win of the season. The Irish drubbed Canisius 18-8 in Buffalo earlier in the season.

Looking ahead, the Irish play four of their last five regular season games at home before the inaugural Big East championship, beginning next weekend with games Friday against Connecticut and Sunday against Duquesne.

In giving up only one score, goalkeeper Erin Goodman and the Irish defense set a Notre Dame record for fewest goals allowed in a game. The sophomore Goodman recorded 14 saves on the game, and allowed the only goal on a free-position shot in the second half.

The Irish took a 7-0 lead over the Greyhounds into halftime, led offensively by junior Caitlin McKinney's three early goals. After Notre Dame picked up a Lena Zentgraf goal 55 seconds into the second half, Loyola finally got on the board with a free-position goal from Kate McHarg.

Goodman and the Notre Dame defense would stifle the Greyhounds the rest of the game, however, and piled on three more second half goals for the victory.

With the goals Byers and McKinney went over the 30-goal mark on the season, the second year in a row both players have reached that mark.

Both teams had 23 shots on goal for the game, with the difference being the Irish advantage in accuracy and goalkeeping. Loyola goalkeeper Karen Nicolaus had 6 saves to Goodman's 14.

Goodman, in her first season as starting goalkeeper, has elevated her play since giving up eighteen goals against defending NCAA champion Northwestern. Since that loss the sophomore is 5-1 with an 8.33 goals against average and a .550 save percentage.

With the win Notre Dame improved the 7-2 overall, 1-1 in Big East play. Loyola fell to 1-6, and 0-2 in conference.

The 10-goal win was tied for the largest Notre Dame victory margin of the season. The Irish drubbed Canisius 18-8 in Buffalo earlier in the season.