New editors assume roles at The Observer

The Observer's new department editors take over their 2007-08 General Board positions today, although two of the editors will not begin until August and three positions are not yet filled, Editor in Chief Maddie Hanna said Monday.

Three of the 14 positions are being filled by those who have previously served in their posts. Kyle West has served as controller since the fall of 2006 and will continue through this semester before becoming business manager next fall.

Joey King will remain as editor of the Viewpoint Department through 2007-08. He has held that post since the spring of 2006.

Dustin Mennella will also serve as photo editor through 2007-08. Mennella was appointed to the position in the spring of 2006.

The nine new General Board appointments are:

u Karen Langley, news editor

u Chris Khorey and Chris Hine, sports editors

u Tae Andrews, scene editor

u Katie Kohler, Saint Mary's editor

u Madeline Nies, graphics editor

u Jessica Cortez, ad sales manager

u Kelly Gronli, ad design manager

"All of the editors bring significant talent and experience to their respective positions," Hanna said. "I am confident the staff assembled will build on the tradition of excellence The Observer has established."

Langley is a junior English major and Journalism, Ethics and Democracy minor who lived in Farley Hall but is studying in Dublin for the year. Langley, a Short Hills, N.J., native who will take over the news editor position in the fall, is a former associate news editor. She started working at The Observer during the fall semester of her freshman year and has since reported on topics including the living wage and academic freedom debates at Notre Dame as well as implications of the amended South Bend disorderly house ordinance.

This spring, Ken Fowler will serve as the managing editor for news, and for the next several weeks, former News Editor Kate Antonacci will be an associate in the department.

Khorey is a junior from Siegfried Hall majoring in history and minoring in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. A native of Grand Rapids, Mich., Khorey previously served as an associate sports editor and has worked for The Observer since the fall of his freshman year. He has covered a variety of beats, including men's basketball, Notre Dame women's soccer and baseball.

Hine is a sophomore history major and Journalism, Ethics and Democracy minor from Scranton, Penn. Hine, who lives in Fisher Hall, started working at The Observer during the fall semester of his freshman year and has covered beats including men's basketball, Notre Dame swimming and Notre Dame women's golf.

Andrews is a junior American Studies major who lives in Stanford Hall. The Niskayuna, N.Y., native started working for The Observer as a Scene writer during the fall semester of his sophomore year.

Kohler, a sophomore political science major who lives in Holy Cross Hall, is a Philadelphia native. She joined The Observer during the fall of her freshman year and has since covered various Saint Mary's events including administrative changes at the College.

Nies is a sophomore marketing and graphic design major from Basking Ridge, N.J., who lives in McGlinn Hall. She worked for The Observer this year as a graphic designer.

Cortez is a junior marketing and Japanese major from Bethlehem, Penn. Cortez lived in Welsh Family Hall but is currently studying in Japan. She has worked for The Observer as an advertising executive since the fall of her sophomore year. Current Ad Sales Manager Sharon Brown will retain her position through the end of the semester.

Gronli, a junior graphic design major from Deer Park, Ill., lives in Cavanaugh Hall. She has worked for The Observer Ad Design department this past year.

West is a junior accountancy major from Houston, Texas. He lives in Fisher Hall.

Mennella, a junior from Keough Hall, is a civil engineering major and Seattle native. He has worked in the Photo Department since the fall of his freshman year.

King is a mechanical engineering and philosophy major who has worked in the Viewpoint Department since the spring of his freshman year. King came to Notre Dame from London, England, and lives in Siegfried Hall.

Systems Manager Alejandro Gerbaud and Web Administrator Rob Dugas will be retained at their positions this spring until replacements are found.

The Observer is accepting applications for the controller and systems manager positions as well as a new web design manager position. Please direct all inquiries to Hanna at mhanna1@nd.edu.