Irish poised to take conference title

Notre Dame is poised to win the Big East championships when it enters the final round today with a three-stroke lead, after it shot a 14-over par 392 in the second round Tuesday.

Louisville shot the lowest score of the day Monday with its 11-over par performance, shaving three strokes off the Irish lead to move into second place. South Florida is a distant third, 22 strokes behind the Irish.

Notre Dame's overall score is an 18-over par 594 with solid contributions from the team's young golfers.

Freshman Annie Brophy clubbed a one-over par 73, mainly due to her team-high five birdies on the day. After shooting an even par in the first round, the freshman leads the Irish in scoring and is in a tie for second in the tournament.

Senior co-captain Noriko Nakazaki shot a two-over par 74 on the day, placing her in a tie for sixth place. After her first round score of one-over par, Nakazaki looks to move up the leaderboard with a strong final round.

Freshman Julie Kim fell six strokes behind her first-round mark when she fired a six-over par 78 after breaking for even par on the first day. She enters the final round in command of seventh place.

Sophomore Lisa Maunu equaled her first-round mark of a five-over par 77 on the second day, which was good enough for a ninth-place tie. She is the third member of the Irish in the top-10. Freshman Kristin Wetzel is in 13th place after she shot a 10-over par 82 in the second round.

The Irish will tee off for the final round at the Oxmoor Country Club in Louisville, Ky., Tuesday morning.