Group discusses changes in advertising, Web site

The Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) discussed College Relations updates for advertising brochures distributed to prospective high school students and Web site reconstruction in a meeting Monday.

Shari Rodriguez, vice president for College Relations, presented her office's ideas for new brochures that will include a new slogan - "She's Saint Mary's." The committee voted on the slogan last year in efforts to change the image presented by advertising materials in banners, signs and brochures.

"Saint Mary's has never really had one brand identity. We are trying to focus our message so we stay consistent," Rodriguez said.

College Relations is responsible for drawing prospective high school students to campus. The advertising campaign will target sophomores, juniors and seniors, she said.

Sophomores will be mailed three postcards that "show general aspects of Saint Mary's," Rodriguez said. These postcards will include pictures of classrooms, Dalloway's and other prominent places on campus.

Juniors will receive a book describing the majors offered by the College, she said.

"One thing we learned in our research was that although high school students saw us as a good institution, our majors rated very low," Rodriguez said.

The packet will also include a junior year View Book that will provide interested students the resources to explore what is offered in their prospective majors.

Seniors will be sent a booklet with profiles of students that represent a range of majors and extracurricular activities, which Rodriguez hopes will present campus life "through the eyes and experiences of Saint Mary's students."

Campus Relations is also working on the reconstruction of Saint Mary's website, Rodriguez said. After six years without any major revisions, the Web site is being updated to include the new "She's Saint Mary's" slogan, along with new profiles of the College's majors.

"The website is the primary source [of information] for perspective students," Rodriguez said.

The new site will launch early this week, she said.

In other BOG news

uStudent Activities Board president Cassie Callon, discussed the upcoming lecture by C. L. Lindsay, a former attorney, titled "Campus Computing: From Free Speech to Facebook How your Facebook/MySpace pages can come back to Haunt you." The lecture will take place in Little Theatre at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 4.

uCourtney Kennedy, BOG executive treasurer, announced that the College will be hosting the pep rally at Notre Dame before the Duke game Nov.16. She is forming a committee in order to plan the event.

uColleen Kielty, president of the Class of 2008, discussed Thursday's hip-hop themed dance, "Let Your Sister Pick Your Mister." It will be held from 8-11 p.m. in O'Laughlin Auditorium. Tickets are on sale this week for $10 per couple.