The Show welcomes bands

The Joyce Center will buzz with a different kind of energy tonight than during the usual Friday evening pep rallies when it hosts The Show, featuring band OK Go and rapper Lupe Fiasco.

Each year, The Show committee selects performers, then organizes and produces the concert. What makes tonight's concert special, said The Show chairman Steve Tortorello, is that it brings the cutting edge to Notre Dame.

"In two years, you're going to say, 'I saw OK Go before they blew up. I saw Lupe Fiasco before he blew up,'" Tortorello said.

The Show has a reputation for bringing in soon-to-be-big acts, such as The Black Eyed Peas in 2003 and Akon in 2005, allowing students to experience artists before their popularity peaks.

Chicago-based foursome OK Go released its first self-titled album in 2002. The group first found fame when the music video for the single, "There it Goes Again" - a low budget, self-choreographed dance performance on eight treadmills - became a popular Internet video.

OK Go began its touring career alongside pop band They Might Be Giants, which headlined the first Show in 2001 after signing with Capitol Records.

Rap artist Lupe Fiasco, also a native of Chicago, headlines The Show this year as well. Fiasco quickly moved to the top of the rap charts with his first record, "Food and Liquor," which was released through Atlantic Records in 2006 and received three Grammy nominations.

Fiasco's next album, titled "The Cool," is due in stores Nov. 20.

Philadelphia-based disk jockey Diplo will also join this year's act. Diplo, who will spin before The Show and in between the two acts, is well known for integrating diverse material and styles as well as producing mix tapes and mash-ups.

Students are already making preparations for the concert.

"It's one of the biggest first events of the year," freshman Sissy Peters said. "I've heard a lot of people are going, and I think it should be a great show."

Upperclassmen have high expectations as well. For senior Lauren Gulley, the Third Eye Blind show in 2006 as the one to beat.

A major foundation of The Show is its responsibility, as a student-run organization, to be for the students. The Show is a completely independent production. Each step - from booking performers, to marketing, to managing the final production - is done by students.

Along with serving the students, keeping ticket costs low is also a priority. To help offset the cost of the performers, The Show committee solicits donations from various departments and student clubs, which pay for the majority of production costs.

Tickets for The Show are $10, and are available at the LaFortune Box Office until 5 p.m. today for Notre Dame, Saint Mary's and Holy Cross students. Tickets will also be available at the door before the show.

Doors open tonight at 7, and the first act starts at 8. A student ID is required for entry.

More information about The Show 2007, including videos of the performers, information on past concerts and ways to get involved can be found at http://theshow.nd.edu

they blew up

Why choose Lupe Fiasco?

Puts on a fantastic show- very different. Different flavor to his show. Both have a real, real knack for putting on a live show

Why OK Go?

Renound for having one of the most zany, wild, awesome live shows you've ever seen. Its the kind of music you want to see with 5000 other people and sing along to

Whats Diplo's role?

DJ works with Lupe Fiasco, from 7:30-8,

What order are they in?

Tickets are pretty cheap, how do you make money?

Donations are solicited from various departments and student clubs; benchmark to keep it at $10. The majority is fundraising money. The Show doesn't make a profit- it's a service, money is made to spend it, only to offset the cost of production.

Do you still need volunteers, how can one get involved?

The best way to get involved is to email theshow@nd.edu

Any surprises et al that readers should know about?

What is the next step for the show?

One of the most fun shows. Really pumped for it, look forward to seeing everyone out on Friday.