First Year Board wins 'Karaoke Idol'

As part of their "Senior Quarters Campaign," members of Saint Mary's Class of 2008 held "Karaoke Idol," their version of "American Idol," Thursday to raise money for future scholarships.

Audience members were encouraged to donate quarters in baskets that were passed around the Vander Vennet Theatre, while they listened to six karaoke renditions of hits by groups like the Backstreet Boys.

The "celebrity" judges for the event were College President Carol Mooney, professor Stacy Davis and business professor Jerry McElroy.

Acts that performed included members of the First Year Board, the Residence Hall Association and groups of students called the "Dancing Queens," the "Disco Rollers," "Fetch" and the "OG."

While listening to the Residence Hall Association's version of "I Want It That Way," Davis said she "felt the emotion ... it was spiritual."

After hearing the "OG" perform "No Scrubs," Mooney said jokingly, "Saint Mary's does not have an Alma Mater that we sing all together, but I think that should be it."

While the judges tabulated their scores, the members of the Senior Quarters Campaign got everyone in the room on their feet for a packed theater rendition of "We Are Family".

"Idol" winners, First Year Board members Kristen Chemma, Katie Brown and class vice president Laurel Jayors who sang "Backstreet's Back," won a gift certificate to Garfield's Pub.

"The Disco Rollers" took second after singing "I Will Survive," and "Fetch" came in third place after their rendition of "Come On Over Baby." They won free games of bowling and free pizza, respectively.

Beth McKevitt, who coordinated the event, thanked everyone for coming.

"Your quarters are inadvertently affecting future students as it helps fund scholarships," she said.

She also reminded the room that the total amount of donated quarters is added on to the "alumnae giving" total.

Freshman Molly Pavela said she was surprised freshmen won but said the night "was hysterical" and that she would come back next year.